Grief


Symptoms

One way to describe grief is in five stages. These reactions might not
occur in a particular order, and can (at times) occur together. Not everyone
experiences all of these emotions:

1. Denial, disbelief, numbness

2. Anger, blaming others (God)

3. Bargaining (for instance
"If I am cured of this cancer, I will never smoke again.")

4. Depressed mood, sadness, and crying

5. Acceptance, coming to terms

Monday, November 5, 2012

Forever Changed


Can you see the change in me?  It may not be obvious to you.  I participate in family activities.  You tell me you’re glad to see that I don’t cry any more. 
But I do cry.  When everyone has gone – when it is safe – tears fall.
I cry until I am exhausted and can finally fall asleep. 

I’m active in my church.  I sing hymns.  I listen to the sermon.
You tell me you admire my strength and my positive attitude.
But I’m not strong.  I feel that I have lost control, and I panic when I think about tomorrow …next week…next month…next year 

You tell me you’re glad I’m ‘’over’’ the death of my loved one.
But I’m not ‘’over it’’.  If I get over it, I will be the same as before my loved one died.  I will never be the same.  At times I think I’m beginning to heal, but the pain of loosing someone I loved so much has left a permanent scar on my heart. 

I visit my neighbors.  You tell you’re glad to see I’m holding up well. 
But I’m not holding up so well.  Sometimes I want to lock my door and hide from the world. 

I spend time with friends I appear calm and collected.  I smile when appropriate.  You may tell me it’s good to see me back to my ‘’old self’’. 
But I will never be back to my ‘’old self’’.  Death and grief has touched my life and I am forever changed.
 
Adapted from Rhonda Wilson
11/5/12

No comments:

Post a Comment