Grief


Symptoms

One way to describe grief is in five stages. These reactions might not
occur in a particular order, and can (at times) occur together. Not everyone
experiences all of these emotions:

1. Denial, disbelief, numbness

2. Anger, blaming others (God)

3. Bargaining (for instance
"If I am cured of this cancer, I will never smoke again.")

4. Depressed mood, sadness, and crying

5. Acceptance, coming to terms

Friday, November 2, 2012

A Tribute to Sherry

The service is over
Friends and family go back
To their busy lives of work and play
And I’m left alone with memories
Good memories crowd out the bad
The times we laughed together
And the times we cried together
I’m left now with only sad 

Where do I go from here?
What do I do without my Sherry?
How can I live with half of my heart gone?
Dry tears wash from burning eyes
My pillow greedy for my tears
As I look at a future bereft of joy
Laughter has died a cold, hard death 

The better part of me is now free
Safe in the arms of our Savior
Leaving me alone, alone
Empty eyes cry angry tears
I believe in our Savior’s wisdom
But why me?
What did I do to deserve this pain? 

Empty arms long to hold her
An empty heart longs to cherish her
If I had shown her more love
I could hold her again
If I had held her more
I could have shown my love for her 

I press her pillow to my face
And breathe the sweet aroma she left behind
I taste bitter tears upon my tongue
I open a drawer and the sweet smell of Sherry
Fills my very soul; filling it with emptiness
My soul is bankrupt without my beloved 

Why, Lord, did you wrench her from me?
Is it something I did or didn’t do?
Did I not love her enough?
Was I not strong enough to hold her?
What did I do wrong? 

Shadows of her flit before me; always before me
Dark empty corridors of my mind
Stretch out before me
A glimpse makes me rush to hold her
But she’s not there
Unfulfilled without the love of her
 
I love you Sherry
I really love you

Darrel Lavender

08/02

No comments:

Post a Comment